2.7K views

I'm glad to have found other people's comments here as I've had the most awful few weeks of symptoms and now I'm beginning to understand why! It's my toothpaste.

I've used various Sensodyne toothpastes for years now and they've given me no apparent problems. However, after drinking a lot of black tea my teeth became stained so at the end of October 2016 I used some Repair and Protect whitening toothpaste to remove the stains and used it on and off during the following weeks. I started to experience sore tongue and had a couple of tongue ulcers soon after but thought nothing of it. Then started to feel very unwell for no apparent reason, dizzy and extremely tired and even breathless - my tongue worsened - it became extremely sore, red and cracked with the central channel down the middle becoming very pronounced and painful.

Eventually had to go to doctors for blood tests as I seriously thought I had something seriously wrong with me, like tongue cancer. Blood tests showed that I had low iron levels so put symptoms down to that as they are very similar so I took action to rectify that. However, even though symptoms improved to some degree I was mystified as to why my tongue, gums and mouth suddenly worsened and it seemed to follow on from using Repair and Protect again a few days ago. My teeth felt like the roots were heavy and aching, my teeth felt weak around the gum line and gums were very inflamed.

Tongue felt ulcerated and I had an intense burning. I had thought that maybe I had some gingivitis so I used some salty water as a mouthwash to try and alleviate the inflammation (as well as some chamomile toothpaste to try and soothe the burning) but both only exacerbated the problem. I used some Sensodyne Pronamel afterwards which calmed things down a bit but taking everything into account, the key factor seems to be when I started to use Repair and Protect a few weeks ago and again more recently. I have suffered so much discomfort and pain I'm never going to risk using it again!

Knowing my own experience and reading further comments here, there surely has to be a problem with it and further investigations should be made. I know someone else who also experienced numb lips and burning after using this toothpaste so to anyone else using R&P - I warn you to be very vigilant about using this product just in case you also have a reaction to it.

Review about: Sensodyne Repair And Protect Toothpaste.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

I’ve been using sensodyne as well and I noticed the last couple weeks my mouth would feel raw and dry until yesterday my bottom lip swelled up so big on one side right after I brushed my teeth ..

Glad I saw this post as I too have been having a reaction and decided it may be my toothpaste! I had swollen lips on Sunday to the point it looked as though I had used fillers!

I used to use sensodyne on and off and started using again as my teeth were sensitive after being at the dentist. I decided to use the complete care repair and protect, noticed a few ulcers appearing, then my teeth and gums started getting painful and was loosing the skin, almost like when you burn the top of your mouth with hot food but all over, and like you have felt ‘unwell’, I didn’t use on Sunday night or Monday morning, but did again last night, again my bottom lip is swollen and my teeth more sensitive.

I do think now this is due to my toothpaste. Thanks for your post

Omg thought I was the only one the pain an irritation is aggravating nothin soothes the pain Never using that toothpaste again currently seeking tips to get rid of the pain

My self and my wife changed to sensodyne repair and protect. A day of use - Severe Sore Tongue, ulcers underneath the tongue, weak gums.

Wife had lesser symptoms.

Good God throwing it away today. Thanks for the post.

I’m so glad I read this. My mouth feels like I just ate 3 bags of over salted sunflower seeds, and I have multiple canker sores going on.

I’ve been baffled as to why. I just started the new pronamel a week and a half ago and I didn’t make the connection until now. This post confirms it. Gotta go back to my old pronamel.

They were out last time and I got the new one to hold me over. Dang it.